What has been keeping me quiet?

This ….

I am about 4/5th of the way through the quilting of Autumn Waterfall, then I will need to cut some of my lovely Kona Chocolate for the binding. I hope to get this one finished by June, when I hope to be quilting my blue monster, Diamonds in the Sky.

It may not be a brilliant photo, but it shows the quilting a lot more clearly. I had planned on doing dog rose flowers (using a stencil) in the midde of the squares but I had problems but decided to just echo quilt, with emphasis on the geometric design.

If you are wondering about what I a using for the backing. It is a bed linen set I brought from Argos in a pale coffee colour, Latte. I will be using another bed sheet as the backing on Diamonds.

Brit Quilt Swap

Brit Quilt Swap by lizzie allen
Brit Quilt Swap, a photo by lizzie allen on Flickr.

Thought I would show my little WIP for the Brit Quilt Swap!!  The last of the small 9-patch blocks was pieced last night , and now I have to piece the 9-patch blocks together to make a larger 9-patch. I decided on a pieced border of white strips with hot pink squares. The pink fabric is by Brandon Mably for Rowan. So, secret partner, I hope you like it so far.

I got some Anna Marie Horner fat quarters from Molly in an international ‘swap’ for some of the perle threads I was giving away. Thanks, Molly!! They will be put to use sometime and somehow.

I picked up the June issue of the Bristish Patchwork and Quilting magazine. I was astonished when I turned to page 76 and saw the featured Blog of the Month… It’s Lynne @Lily’sQuilts!!! Check out my Flickr page for proof!

Lemons & Limes

Lemons & Limes by lizzie allen
Lemons & Limes, a photo by lizzie allen on Flickr.

A miniquilt or mugrug…I’m not sure! I have started doing the binding by hand, but this has meant muscle sprasms in my left hand and numbness in my left thumb 😦   I have managed to put the binding on the ends and started on one of the long sides.
I have used some of the fabrics I got from Jo Bearpaw & The Fabric Loft, the colours of which inspired the name.

Maple Leaf

Another (and much older) UFO is a Maple Leaf quilt that I had started well before my current employment in local government. Again like my Autumn Waterfall quilt top, Maple Leaf got put to one side and ended up in the loft at my parents’ house for over 7 years 😦

When Dad brought it down from the loft on Royal Wedding Day, I looked at it and asked out loud, ‘Why the green?’  Mum said, ‘Isn’t it supposed to be the middle of the quilt?’  Thanks Mum 🙂  When I first started this quilt I had decided to use some dark sage/olive green fabric I had been given (not my colour!!) and the only of doing so was to make it the central block.

I admit that I am not one for machine piecing, although I have tried it once but I perfer to piece by hand. I also do the quilting by hand. As it is handpieced, using paper shapes, the HSTs are not perfect and somehow that doesn’t spoil the overall effect.

Hehehe… that’s my duvet underneath with a dolphin themed cover (and I have the matching pillowcase!). My bed kind of doubles as my quilt work space. I might have to borrow the washing line at the parents’ to take photos outside, although Dad is process of building a model railway (which he has not even finished!!!! I hope he  finishes it as he’s 70 later this year.)

Autumn Waterfall

Autumn Waterfall by lizzie allen
Autumn Waterfall, a photo by lizzie allen on Flickr.

I started this particular quilt top a few years ago but put it to one side due to work pressures at the time. However due to current circumstances at work, and thanks to reading a patchwork/quilting magazine, I was inspired to finish this one.

The pattern was one I got from the British Patchwork & Quilting magazine a few years ago (cannot remember the issue no :(). I had done another one with this pattern but in a set of fabrics produced by Makower Fabrics, which reminded me of the Tudor/Elizabethan period. Unfortunately, I didn’t take any photos of it when I gave it to a friend at work 😦

I had no space to lay it out flat so it ended up being draped over the end of my bed.