Rhonda @ Quilter in the Gap is having a linky party…. Something to do with a game of tag going on at the moment. I have decided to participate (although I have nt answered all of her questions!):
1. What’s your favorite part of the quilt making process?
All of it, from choosing the fabrics to the quilting. The one bit I don’t particularly like (as it can be tedious!) is the binding. My quilts are not really planned, though the most recent ones (Maple Leaf and Autumn Waterfall) were. Diamonds in the Sky was planned in terms of blocks used and the scrappiness was intentional, using what I already had (usually someone else’s leftovers!).
2. If you had to pick one favourite quilt, who’s/which one would it be?
I would say at the moment it would be Stained Pink by Sarah (Narcoleptic in a Cupboard). It reminds me of the artwork of the Scottish architect Charles Rene Macintosh, especially the windows he created (especially the rose windows). The soft pinks and greys are just so yummy.
3. Give me an example of something you have made that you are really proud of?
It would the one quilt I did actually complete. It was the same pattern as Autumn Waterfall, but I used the Makower Elizabethan line of fabrics. Taking inspiration from the fabric, I called it Tudor Garden. Also, a heart-shaped cushion I made for a friend of mine at church for her daughter’s wedding. It was made from silk fabric (first time I had used silk!) and actually following someone’s instructions.
4. Who in your life do you most admire and why?
I cannot pick just one person. I would say ALL of my friends here in quilty blogland!
What!?!?! One person only?! Ok, I would pick Sarah (aka Narcoleptic in a Cupboard). Having to live with a condition like narcolepsy, which can be ptotentially life threatening, is not easy (to some extent I can empathise with, as I have lived with depression since my mid-20s). I love reading her blog about her adventures in quilting and the antics of Miss Elliecat always have chuckling. I cannot wait to meet her and all the other bloggers I
stalk follow at the Fat Quarterly retreat in June.
5. If I were coming over for dinner what would you cook me?
I don’t really cook, but my little brother makes a really good lasagne. It would be served with a side salad.
6. If you could buy any fabric bundle you wanted right now (someone else was paying) what would it be?
It would be a fat quarter selection of Kona Solids in all colours, or Oakshott shot cottons (again in all available colours). I have more patterned fabrics in my stash than plains.
7. What’s your favourite movie?
For 80s’ cheesyness, I would pick Flash Gordon.
For emotional storyline, Schindler’s List. I saw it at the cinema when it was released with my mum. Everyone in the cinema stayed in their seats when the credits rolled at the end of the film and every time I watch it, I cry!
Best book adaptation, Lord of the Rings triology (I have read the books at least 3 times).
8. If money was no object, what’s your dream holiday?
A trip to Peru! I am an armchair archaeologist and history nut. The ancient past of Peru is so fascinating, from the arrival of the first humans in South America to the Spanish conquest and the end of the Inca empire.
9. What inspired you to first start sewing/quilting?
It was an hour long arts programme on the telly and one segment was about traditional patchwork quilts.
My first quilt top (though I never completed it!) was a hexagon Grandmother’s Flower Garden, using fabrics I had indirectly inherited from someone my mum knew.
I am not tagging anyone, but if you should decide to play along…. My 11 questions are:
1. What inspired you to first start sewing/quilting?
2. What’s your favorite part of the quilt making process?
3. If you had to pick one favourite quilt, who’s/which one would it be?
4. What are your favorite colour combos for fabric at the moment?
5. Give me an example of something you have made that you are really proud of?
6. Who in your life do you most admire and why?
7. If I were coming over for dinner what would you cook me?
8. If you could buy any fabric bundle you wanted right now (someone else was paying) what would it be?
9. What’s your favourite movie/book/tv programme?
10. If money was no object, what’s your dream holiday?
11. Do you have a favourite colour? If so, why are you drawn to it?
Filed under: Uncategorized | 5 Comments »